College Decisions

College+Decisions

Current high school seniors and their families are facing uncertainty in their college decisions this year, as the new Covid-19 virus creates some difficulties. The main concern for families is how they are going to pay for college, as Covid-19 has affected income. This also

includes students applying for college scholarships, since some colleges changed their packages. These financial changes also affect where students decide to go to college geographically, as to whether or not the college is closer to home. 

Many families are concerned about how they will pay for college due to income disruption from Covid-19. 

“[Covid-19] has affected my financial situation as I was only working 4-5 hours between March and July. Unemployment covered most costs with the extended benefits through the cares act but once that ended Unemployment is far below my regular income… [Covid-19] has affected my ability to pay for college as well as possibly impacted my ability to take loans as I have stopped paying several credit cards and my credit will begin to suffer.” says JoAnn Johannessen, a parent of a SWR high school senior. 

Applying and receiving scholarships, especially regarding sports have been affected by Covid-19, and decreased the amount of money students would be able to receive.  “…the money that coaches have to use for scholarships greatly decreased due to [Covid-19]. Many 2021 college graduates who didn’t get to have a senior season are red-shirting and staying another year. They keep their scholarships which takes away from the scholarships that coaches can give to incoming freshmen.” SWR senior, and Wingate women’s soccer ‘25, Lydia Radonavitch. 

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has granted eligibility to current college seniors to play an extra year of fall sports. According to the NCAA website, “Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay.”

Covid-19 has affected some families financially, which results in their children deciding to go to an in-state college instead of going out of state, as they can claim residency. “Due to the pandemic, my family and I decided that it would be better for me to stay closer to home for college. I was originally looking at colleges down south but since [Covid-19] started I narrowed my list to New York and the states surrounding the state.” says Ashely Borriello, a SWR senior and Adelphi women’s soccer ‘25. 

Covid-19 might make it possible for some families to receive even more financial aid, if they were eligible beforehand. 

“The financial aid process has not changed. Families still need to apply for financial aid through the same process they always have. However, if a student’s family has been impacted financially by [Covid-19], they can then discuss their specific financial impacts with the financial aid office at each school. This could certainly allow students to receive more aid than they may have before [Covid-19].” says Mr. Rosato, a SWR guidance counselor. 

Covid-19 has caused many complications regarding college applications. Families income has been affected, how families are now going to pay for college is altered, and scholarships that could be granted has changed. There can also be a positive outlook on these changes, meaning a chance for more financial aid and college seniors being able to play another year of sports. This is a year to make whatever happens work the best for you and your families.