SCCC a Smart Economical Start

SCCC is an affordable alternative to going to a four-year college right after high school.

Suffolk County Community College is a two-year public college that’s a popular choice for many Long Island students. It’s an affordable school with many benefits.

It’s made up of three campuses: Selden, Riverhead and Brentwood. SCCC is the largest community college in the State University of New York (SUNY) system.

Some consider it the perfect choice to save money before transferring to a four-year university or school. When it came to if students should attend a two-year school like SCCC, guidance counselor Mr. Sal Rosato stated, “By all means, I definitely advocate students to start at Suffolk. Students begin at Suffolk Community College for various reasons. Some need it for a jumpstart post high school.”

SCCC is a good choice for those who don’t know what they want to do for a career as well as those who do know what they want to pursue. Students have applied to SCCC as a “safe” school. If they don’t get into the first choice school, they can attend SCCC.

Financially, two-year colleges such as SCCC cost less than a traditional four-year college. According to The College Board, “The average in-state tuition at community colleges for 2014–2015 was just $3,347.” For students living in Suffolk County, the cost of attending SCCC is $2,610. For non-residents, it’s $5,220.

Colleges like SCCC benefit students who aren’t sure what they want to do because they can take their basic education courses at a two-year school while they explore what they want to pursue. Mr. Rosato stated, “It provides a foundation. It provides students with an opportunity to find out what they want to do and then move on.”

One drawback to attending a two-year community college is that students often do not get involved in campus events. It’s common for students to attend class and go home. There are clubs, but student involvement is infrequent, and there may not be enough participation to successfully run clubs. There is a lack of campus life.

A SCCC sophomore who graduated from SWR weighed in on this issue. “I would say that’s one thing about going to Suffolk, you miss out on [campus life]. You mainly just go there to go to class, then leave. You’re not forced to interact with social groups like you would at a regular [four-year] college.” The sophomore, who is in the nursing program, also discussed how he thought SCCC was perceived by others. “When I tell people I go to Suffolk, they automatically assume it has a bad reputation, but once I say I’m in the nursing program, they completely change their thinking because it’s hard to get in that program.”

SCCC is affordable; however, some wonder about the quality of the education. “I feel like that the professors are caring and dedicated to their students and will go the extra mile to help students understand content,” said the sophomore. “I feel like I’m well prepared with my experience at Suffolk to succeed in a bachelors program. I think it is well worth it. It’s cost effective, there are programs that will get you jobs right out of college, and it gives you good exposure.”

Republished from Shoreham-Wading River’s print newspaper, The Wildcat Pause (April 2019 Issue).