Edward Storck

May 13, 2020

After schools were shut down due to the Coronavirus pandemic, students faced many changes in their daily routines and schooling. Teachers’ lives were also altered, and Mr. Edward Storck, English and AP Capstone teacher, faced many changes due to the shutdown.

“Personally, I’m extremely bored,” he said. “I miss human interaction, I miss seeing my students, and I miss our laughs.”

Mr. Storck said he needs a routine and right away established a new schedule for himself. “Every day when I wake up, I read a little bit, eat breakfast, and get everything together for school.”

For some teachers, it has been difficult to convert their classroom to a virtual setting. Mr. Storck, however, is very familiar with the technology being used and has helped many teachers learn to use it as well. 

“I feel fortunate that I have been very tech-savvy over the years with AP Capstone. Before this pandemic hit, a lot of the stuff we had been doing was already digital, so the transition wasn’t too much of a challenge for me,” he said.

A difficult component of online learning has been the lack of social interaction. To combat this, Mr. Storck found a way to incorporate some interaction into his classes.

“Every Monday, we host live lessons during my class periods, and the kids have seemed to really enjoy that time to connect and learn from each other,” he said.

Although the students are doing the best they can, Mr. Storck said he reaches out to students who are struggling and reminds them of the flexibility of this completely new school environment.

“Whatever people thought they knew about school, throw it out the window,” he said. “We now have a different school, where we’re all going to be more patient with one another. We’re going to reach out and support one another and make the best of this situation.”

After school, Mr. Storck’s favorite activity is going outside and jogging. He said he lives in an apartment complex, and since he does not have a backyard, it gets overwhelming to be inside.

“Sometimes I want to break free, and jogging has given me a reason to go outside,” he said. “I’ve been pretty consistent, and I think I’m enjoying it because it’s been such a challenge for me personally, but I’m seeing my time get better, and I’m seeing myself get faster.”

In addition, Mr. Storck spends his time watching Netflix and staying updated on the news. He has also added meditation into his daily routine.

“I’ve been meditating for 15 minutes a day for the past two weeks, and it has become a great thing for me,” he said.

The Pause • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in