The Unhealthy Side of Quarantining

%E2%80%9CI+have+been+on+my+phone+a+lot+more+because+I%E2%80%99m+bored%2C%E2%80%9D+freshman+Katelyn+Dawson+said.+

“I have been on my phone a lot more because I’m bored,” freshman Katelyn Dawson said.

Quarantining was without a doubt imperative to the health of Americans. However, this process carried with it some unintentional backlash. We have been in a period of quarantine since mid March—meaning almost three months at home—and we are still adjusting even though regulations are beginning to be lifted.

“My routine was extremely busy before quarantine. It felt like I was never home. Now, I get up whenever and do absolutely nothing,” senior Julia Marsala said. “I can only see one of my friends, and I miss everyone and everything.”

With a change in routine, some may develop new habits that may not always be the most beneficial.

“I’m sleeping late and have no motivation to do anything,” junior Sarah Kruzynski said.

According to a Mayo Clinic study, only two hours of screen time is recommended for teens and adults. Not only is that impossible due to the  9:20 to 2:00 school day, but screens have engulfed our daily entertainment.

SWR students are also finding it exceedingly difficult to maintain energy when the weather is not that great.

“I have to force myself to do schoolwork and go outside, but when it’s not nice out, it’s harder to motivate myself,” Kruzynski said. 

“I try to motivate myself by going outside, riding my bike or tumbling, but when it’s rainy, it’s much harder to do that,” Dawson said. 

An underlying issue that isn’t being talked about is how social skills are being affected by not seeing one another face to face.

“My social skills have definitely been negatively affected,” senior Alex Tonetti said. “I think a lot of kids get their social skills from school and interactions with friends, and since quarantine, these have mostly stopped. I find that when talking to people now it feels more awkward than a couple months ago, which has to do with not seeing anyone besides close family.”

SWR students are sticking it out but they are eager for the anticipated recovery of modern-day interactions. 

“I’m dying to get my life back,” Marsala said.